The Master Gardener Program is offered by The University of Tennessee Extension.
The purpose of the Master Gardener program is to train citizens as horticultural-educated volunteers of The University of Tennessee Extension and the Tennessee State Cooperative Extension Program. Volunteers work in partnership with their counties to expand the educational outreach by providing home gardeners with researched-based information.
These volunteers, Extension Master Gardeners, support the Extension Service by:
- answering phone requests for horticultural information
- establishing and maintaining demonstration gardens
- working with the handicapped, youth, the elderly, and other community groups
- designing and implementing community involvement projects
- coordinating local Master Gardener training programs